Thursday, May 20, 2010

It's official there is a baby bump

Lots has been going on lately, life is busy but full of fun.  We were in Duluth as Kevin already said for Katie's graduation last weekend.  Kevin was lucky and got to miss out on the actual ceremony while the rest of us sat there for 3+ hours, he definitely got the better end of the deal.  I'm proud of Katie for accomplishing this big stage in her life and excited to see what the future has in store for her.  While sitting at her graduation I couldn't help but think of my own graduation just a little over 5 years ago.  So many memories from college flooded me, and I could sympathize with the feelings Katie must have about leaving a place that has become so near and dear to her heart.  I also was thinking about how grateful I was for going to a private school...graduation is WAY shorter!  On plus about Katie's graduation was they had concessions, which I suppose were necessary due to the fact that I spent 2 hours saving seats before the ceremony even started!  It was a great weekend with family and friends though and lots of fun to see where Katie lived and the things she did while she was in school.  I however will not be letting Kevin forget anytime soon that not only did he get to skip out on the graduation, he got to participate in the after ceremony activities of a keg, beer pong and flippy cup.  I think it really hit me at that party that I am in fact getting older and going to become a mom myself when one of Katie's friends mom's asked if I normally sit at the back of the party and just watch...I am getting older, luckily Kevin was able to re-live college years for both of us and I felt much better than him the next day!  I just hope our little guy thinks that it is fun to party with his parents after his college graduation...Kevin and I might even get to show him our wonderful beer pong skills :)

This past weekend was also our one year wedding anniversary.  Hard to believe it's already been a year and at the same time, can't believe how much has changed already.  A year ago we were preparing to start the rest of our lives together.  Kevin was afraid I stood him up when I was running late to pictures, I was trying to figure out how not to cry when I saw the man I was going to marry that day, or at least if I did cry how to be a cute crier and I was also trying to remember and soak in every moment of that day and the memories with it.  It was definitely one of the greatest moments of my life, I truly married my best friend and the greatest guy in the world.  As we embark on this new journey I can only think about how great of a husband Kevin is and how he is going to be an even greater Dad.  It makes me emotional just thinking about it.  Our little guy truly doesn't know how lucky he is to get Kevin as a dad.  He's going to be the best playmate, role model and father a man can be.

Onto the title of this post...it's official I have a baby bump.  It might not be a big bump, but it is definitely a bump! I'm not sure when this bump made it's appearance, but I've decided sometime between the weekend and yesterday.  Saturday at Katie's graduation everyone was talking about how they couldn't even tell I was pregnant and having a hard time believing I was already half way.  Yesterday and today at work people were asking me left and right if I was expecting and congratulating me.  Baby swan has definitely made himself known.  His presence might have sometime to do with the fact that he is know roughly the size of a cantaloupe or about as long as a banana.  Hard to imagine something that started off the size of a poppy seed is now a cantaloupe!

Kevin and I have started thinking of names, I'm slowly reading through every letter of the alphabet scouring for names that would be suitable for baby swan.  We still aren't any closer, but I have read about half the alphabet so far!  As I think of naming baby swan I think back to elementary school when I wanted to change my name, the spelling of my name or anything to be different.  For awhile I insisted that my teachers spell my name K-e-l-s-i-e.  I tried daily to convince them that the spelling on the official school documents was wrong and my name did in fact end with an "ie" instead of "ey".  I chuckle thinking of how much time parents spend thinking of the perfect name for their child, only to realize at some point in his life my son will probably ask why we picked the name we picked and not something cooler or different from his friends.  If kids only knew how much time and thought went into naming them!  I've also been reading and researching cribs, car seats, strollers, you name it and I've probably been looking into it.  Kevin and I went to look at furniture and car seats a little last night and I've decided I'm starting to drive myself crazy with all the looking, reading and researching I've done.  Eventually I'm just going to have to pick something and take the first step!  Sometimes my need to have the perfect something winds up paralyzing me from choosing at all.  Luckily Kevin is patient and decisive so eventually things will be chosen.  Until then I'll be spending time with my nose in a book, looking and re-looking at online sites and articles and pondering what the perfect choice for us is.

If you made it through this novel, way to go!  I guess I need to update more frequently!  I'll try to not write so much next time.  Can't make any promises though, because if you know me at all, I'm never short on words.

1 comment:

  1. After seeing you tonight, it's confirmed, there is a bump - and it's a cute one!! You look great too!
    In regards to the car seat and cribs and all that, I found I could research for hours and hours only to realize, if the product was not suitable to standards, it would not be on the market. So pick what you like without driving yourself nuts, cause I'm pretty sure it is possible with choosing baby stuff. Good luck and happy shopping!!!

    ReplyDelete