Monday, May 3, 2010

Baby Swan's already lucky.

So as the Dad-to-be, I don't get to write about the pregnancy experiences, so yes, my postings might be a little trivial at times.  I'll leave the pregnancy details to Kelsey.  I guess what I can write about is what I'm observing and how I'm planning for my future Dad moments.

One of the observations I've had occurred this past weekend.  Every year my Mom's family gathers for the Kentucky Derby.  I'm sure there are other families who gather for Kentucky Derby, but I don't know if they can match our style.  At two different points last week members of the family caused me to say.. "Who are these people and why in the world are we doing this for the Kentucky Derby??"  Even with the extreme lengths we go to during Derby weekend, I wouldn't trade it for the world.  It is one of the few unique things I can look forward to every year.  Its a special tradition with our family and I really do appreciate how into it everyone gets.

I do wonder how this must seem to everyone else.  The points where I had to step back and wonder if this is normal were pretty apparent when I brought Kelsey to her first Derby weekend.  She had not really grasped the concept of horse racing.  She learned that she would be giving up a weekend for a horse race, but the reality didn't set in for her.  By the time the race was done, it had lived up to it's usual hype for the family, but for Kelsey, she couldn't grasp how a 2 minute race could be so exciting.  She was a little upset that we gave up a whole weekend for 2 whole minutes.  This being her third weekend, I think she has finally grown into the tradition and looks forward to it.  (I hope)

The process is always the same.  We always draw horses, and the drawing order is determined by oldest to youngest.  Even the infants get a horse!  Sadly, we couldn't convince the powers that be to give us a third horse for Baby Swan.  Surprisingly it didn't matter.  I drew Super Saver and won.  I was happy to win because I think it provides a clear sign as to just how lucky Baby Swan is going to be.  I'm calling it right now.  Baby Swan will win his / her first Kentucky Derby in 2011.

The photo records indicate that we have been having a Derby weekend since 1994 at the cabin and I know that it goes well beyond that date as well.  Hopefully with 20 still faithful followers we will still have a few more Derby Weekend in the years to come.

And if Baby Swan really is lucky, I'm already looking forward to the Canterbury opening this summer.

That's it for now.  Its another work week and I better go catch up to Mom-to-be before she falls asleep. :-)

Dad-to-Be

1 comment:

  1. I would like to add, as a former Trauscht, that I think there is something about the pre-parent luck charm that seems to come from our family. I can't say for sure that it would be passed on to Kelsey, but if is only for you, I strongly encourage you to test it out from time to time. I remember there were several incidents that I won a ton of stuff (bingo games, lottery tickets, Canterbury poker, just to name a few) during the time I was pregnant. Both kids. It is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete