Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Golden Day

Yep, been way too long since the Dad-to-be gave his opinion, and I think its about time I give a little perspective on this past weekend.

Kelsey did it.  She gave me the best golden birthday a husband could ever ask for.  We took off for my parent's cabin as previously mentioned and had a really great time.  We went to the local bar on Friday night, and headed to bed after some cards.  The boys woke up early Saturday for golf, and while it started out cloudy, by the time we got back to the cabin the sun was shining and the boat and the ladies were ready.  We cruised around on the boat, soaking up the sun, and going for a few relaxing swims in the creek.  Everyone noticed how easier it was to swim with life jackets and also, how you could have your favorite beverage while swimming. It was heaven.  After lounging we had to see just what the boat could do.  I made Brian pull me wakeboarding and after a few average runs I fell and said enough of the work, time for some more relaxation.  We had some wonderful steaks on the grill and enjoyed a nice cabin night with a thunderstorm and more cards / lounging around.  All-in-all it was a great cabin weekend.

On Sunday after cleaning up we headed down to Chicago for the Cubs game on Monday night.  We stayed in a hotel in downtown Chicago and I got to enjoy a nice night in my favorite city.  We wandered around the city Monday morning and I got to grab a few souvenirs for the upcoming Cubs game that night.  We headed to the game early to scope out a good parking spot.  After finding the perfect one only 3 blocks away from the stadium (and with really cheap rates) we headed to a local bar for a quick bite to eat and a ceremonial PBR for me.  Once finished we headed into the stadium to get to our seats.  Up until this point Kelsey had not told me where we were sitting, as that was my birthday surprise.  Low and behold we found our section and I sat in the best sport-seats I have ever been in.  I have never been closer to a live, major league sporting event with the exception of a T-wolves game in Jr. High.  I sat eighth row at the T-wolves and here at the Cubbies game I was eighth row behind the Cub's dugout.  The night was excellent.  The only letdown was that the Cubs lost in the ninth inning.  Otherwise it was great.  The Cubs even honored Ron Santo (a close friend of my Grandpa from back in the day) before the game by retiring his number!  I couldn't believe my luck and I completely enjoyed the game.  Kelsey says I was two wrist shaking convulsions away from being six years old again (i.e. when Trevor gets REALLLY excited he shakes his wrists).  Kelsey says the look on my face the entire game was pure juvenile excitement.  I'm sure it was, because I finally got to do something that I have wanted to do since i was a little kid.  My first baseball card was Mark Grace from the Cubs and I have never stopped enjoying Cubs games.

So its now Tuesday, and work is calling tomorrow.  I'm hesitant to go, knowing that I have another great weekend ahead of us.  I am still not completely decompressed from all the excitement but I'm pretty sure when I get to Hopkins and walk into the office tomorrow I'll be back to reality.

On the baby front, Kelsey and I have registered at a few places and one of the places is Babies R' Us.  With work, I have been designated as the Toys R Us project manager, and with that comes a few Babies R Us sites.  I have been in my fair share of Babies R Us sites, and while in there for work, I always happen to notice a few things that I've registered for.  Its nice to be surrounded by that stuff at home and at work because it gets me thinking about what kind of things I need to do to get ready to be a Dad.  This being my golden birthday, it was very special.  But i can't wait to celebrate the rest of my birthdays with my little dude and his little dude and dudette siblings.

Until then, I'll enjoy this week, and more cabin weekends that the summer is sure to bring.  Until then, i'll try to check in to blog a little more often as I know things will continue to fill my mind and I will find the need to share them.

Golden Day Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment